Sunday 27 May 2012

Whisky Discovery #121

Berry Bros. & Rudd Girvan 1989 22 Year Old (46%, IB, Bottled 2011)
Single Grain Scotch Whisky
circa £54.00 70cl

Girvan 1989

Dram number 15 of The Whisky Lounge Midlands Fest found me at The Berry Brothers & Rudd stand where I met Rocky. I asked where should I start and this 22 year old from a 1989 single cask, single grain whisky was poured for me.

The Girvan distillery, situated on the south west coast of Scotland opened in 1963 on the former site of a munitions factory. For a few years the single malt, Ladyburn, now very rare, was produced at the complex. One of the most noticeable structures in the town of Girvan is the distinctive clock-tower, Auld Stumpy which was built during the 1700's.

I remember driving past the distillery regularly during the week we stayed in the area on a family holiday a few years back. Unfortunately I hadn't started drinking whisky then, so only registered it, and thought nothing more of it. We had a great weeks holiday in the Girvan area, before driving up to the Isle of Skye for our second week.

My notes at this stage of the show were just about registering the stand I was at and basic bottle details, with perhaps a note or two of relevant information from the brand representative that I thought interesting, or some basic taste descriptors. Just a star alongside this one, which means I was enjoying it!

So from the bottle label:


This whisky has pronounced fragrance for a grain spirit. It is fruity with vanilla and custard creams. The palate is surprisingly full and oily with waves of coffee cream, spice and juicy lime. To finish there is a satisfying warm spicy pickle.

No comments: