Monday 3 September 2012

Whisky Discovery #155

Johnnie Walker Black Label 12 Year Old (40% abv)
Blended Scotch Whisky
Circa £22.00 70cl
Johnnie Walker Black Label - recognised everywhere?
Probably the most recognised Scotch Whisky brand in the world, and I can't really believe that I've not sampled this before now. I certainly knew of this Whisky long before I started drinking Whisky, although I don't recall ever seeing it in my fathers drinks cabinet while growing up.

I spent seven years working in Thailand during the nineties and this was the Whisky to have on your table to show you've made it, and whilst I bought a number of bottles as gifts, never tasted the stuff as far as I can recall, maybe drowned in coke or soda water as the Thai's liked to drink it, but then it would have been only after a number of cold beers.

It was during my long flight to Mexico City recently that I took the opportunity to sample Black Label, it was the only Whisky available, and I could only sample it through the very cheap plastic tumblers now used on airlines.

However it was along haul flight and the whisky came free, so could sample it a few times before I was satisfied and settled off to sleep for the remainder of the flight.

So what did I think?
Unfortunately the plastic tumblers weren't conducive to effective nosing but I was able detect sweet molasses along with a musty spiciness on the nose. The palate was rich and smooth and there was a definite note of wood smoke over the cereals and creamy toffee along with a pinch of peppery spice at the end.

I'm glad I've gotten around to tasting it at long last. I've learned that Black Label consists of up to forty different whiskies, and was recently told that Cardhu is one of the prime single malts used. 


I know it wasn't the best of tasting conditions, but my journey must be recorded. I will have to return to this at a later date with a nosing glass in hand.

1 comment:

Eric said...

That peppery spice note at the end is most likely from Talisker. It's a distinct characteristic of that single malt.