Sunday 8 January 2012

Happy New Year !

All in all I had a great December tasting four new whiskies for the first time, and with Christmas gifts still to open and sample! The Christmas gifts included a bottle of Aberlour A'Bunadh batch 37, a bottle of Jura Superstition and two Macallans, the 10 Year Old Fine Oak which I opened earlier and the standard 10 year old.

I toasted the New Year in with a Lagavulin 16 Year Old, one of my favourite single malts. It was swiftly followed by a second, and for a nightcap finished with a Highland Park 12 Year Old.

With so many bottle on the whisky shelf I decided that I really ought to finish one or two bottles before opening one of the new ones.

Week one of 2012 saw the end of my fabulous Highland Park 12 Year Old and the Singleton of Dufftown 12 Year Old. I have loved every smooth drop of the Orkadian, but as much as I have tried to get into the Dufftown, I really haven't got much to say about it at all. It's not offensive, and certainly quite drinkable, but I found it fairly ordinary, "nothing to write home about", for my taste buds anyhow. They do have a 15 Year Old available, but I'm not sure I would invest in a full size bottle of this, I would need to try a miniature first. However I certainly will be trying other expressions from Highland Park.

From my very first 'tasting' just over a year ago I feel I immediately entered a 'zone' of whisky appreciation and have been hooked ever since. I have a need to know more about taste and flavour - I am starting to feel this is going to be a very long journey! So, in order to fulfil my thirst for knowledge I have invested in a copy of the Malt Whisky Yearbook 2012, lots of information for the whisky geek ! 

HAPPY NEW YEAR and I'm looking forward to a very interesting second year of my journey. 

No comments: