Sunday 6 May 2012

Whisky Discovery #100

Kilchoman 2006 Machir Bay NAS (46% abv, OB, 2012)
Islay Single Malt Whisky
Circa £39.00

Machir Bay from Kilchoman
Named after one of the most beautiful beaches on Islay, Machir Bay, released in February 2012 is a vatting of 3, 4 and 5 year old whiskies, matured in fresh bourbon barrels and finished in oloroso sherry butts for 8 weeks. Each year more mature malt is planned to be added to the vatting.

So what did I think?
I wrote in my notes ‘Peaty Heaven’! The first Whisky of my journey was an Islay malt, and I think it is rather fitting that my 100th Whisky Discovery is another. I loved all four of the stunning Kilchoman drams tasted at the show. The Sherry Release got my vote for my favourite, but any of the other three were very close seconds. 


I have read on their website that you can spend a week at the distillery, where for a fee you get the opportunity to shadow their production team and get hands on experience of every facet of malt whisky production – from barley to bottling!  If anyone would like to sponsor me for this trip I would be eternally grateful! (I've had to 'borrow' this photo from the Kilchoman website too)

No comments: